The story of Olverum is as rich and rare as the oil itself, involving a family secret carried for decades, and several lifetimes of passion and specialist knowledge.
In 1931, winemaker Franz Klein and his wife Edith, a pharmacologist, developed an oil of extraordinary quality with the therapeutic and restorative qualities they had sought to perfect for many years. An immediate success with friends of the Kleins, word spread and demand for the oil grew rapidly. Production was halted during the war, as Franz would not compromise the quality of the oil, and the secret formula was buried in their garden for safe keeping.
Today, it is the Kleins’ son, Peter, who devotes his time to bringing his parents’ creation to a widespread audience. For export, he renamed it Olverum, taking the name from the Latin oleum verum, meaning “true oil”.